Friday, June 09, 2006

Guided By Voices: Suitcase - Failed Experiments and Trashed Aircraft (2000)

38 of the 100 tracks found on Suitcase made my ultimate Pollard/GBV playlist/box set. On top of that, I would say that about 80% of Suitcase is not just listenable, but decent as well. Any personal Suitcase "best of" compliation would fit perfectly well amongst GBV's albums, and the quality of these rarities is surprisingly good. I reviewed all the discs separately and hope that I have set aside any fears of those who wonder if the box set is worth the $50 bucks or so to purchase it...

The box set focuses on 80's tracks, aborted album cuts, and outtakes from (mostly) Bee Thousand, Same Place the Fly Got Smashed, and Do The Collapse. The quality of the 80's tracks is most surprising, as many of them rival what is found on the five GBV 80's releases. Other highlights include the great Bunco Men, a song which should find itself among GBV's greatest, and alternate versions of Ha Ha Man and Wondering Boy Poet. Those aside, there are tons of great tracks on Suitcase, and I have had plenty of time to get to know it, and I enjoy it more every time I listen to it. Listed below are the links to each disc's separate entry:

Disc One
Disc Two
Disc Three
Disc Four

No comments: