Monday, October 19, 2020

RE:SCORE - Guided By Voices: Alien Lanes (1995)

TOTAL SCORE: 98, AVG: 3.50

It is crazy to think that when I originally reviewed Alien Lanes the album was only about 10 years old. Now, it is almost 25 years old! I called My Valuable Hunting Knife my favorite GBV song of all-time, didn't really dig My Son Cool, and mentioned that Vampire on Titus has a claim to being GBV's best album. I can say that none of those statements are true anymore (to me anyway), but I completely agree with my original assessment that Alien Lanes is an amazing album and extremely essential when discussing Guided By Voices...
    From a scoring perspective Alien Lanes has the highest total score at this point, and an average score below Bee Thousand, Under the Bushes Under the Stars, and Propeller (4.24, 4.17, and 3.60 respectively). To me, this totally makes sense, because in a way Alien Lanes is the most quintessential Guided By Voices album, in that it represents the nature of band the best. GBV albums mix gems with the rubble, and it has its fair share of both. For every Game of Pricks, there is a Chicken Blows, and then a bunch of generally good stuff in the middle. 

    From a hits perspective, the inclusion of Game of Pricks, Motor Away, My Valuable Hunting Knife, A Salty Salute, and Watch Me Jumpstart alone takes Alien Lanes to the top when considering essential albums. Is Boston Spaceships' The Planets Are Blasted a better album than Alien Lanes because it scored a rocking 4.00? Not necessarily, since Alien Lanes has 14 "Almost Gem" or higher tracks compared to Planets' 9. Also, the "bad" songs on Alien Lanes do add something to the albums' overall tone and appeal if they don't on their own as strongly. I would say that The Planets Are Blasted is more consistently good though, and so are the other GBV albums mentioned earlier that were given a higher average score.

    But at the end of day, Alien Lanes has to be in the conversation for the greatest GBV album of all time.

    Here is the updated ranking:

    Among Bob's Best
    01 A Salty Salute
    03 Watch Me Jumpstart
    07 Game of Pricks
    15 Motor Away
    17 My Valuable Hunting Knife

    Gems
    05 As We Go Up, We Go Down
    13 Closer You Are
    20 Striped White Jets
    22 Blimps Go 90

    Almost Gems
    09 A Good Flying Bird
    11 Pimple Zoo
    19 King and Caroline
    25 Little Whirl
    26 My Son Cool

    They're Good
    02 Evil Speakers
    04 They're Not Witches
    14 Auditorium
    23 Strawdogs
    28 Alright

    They're OK
    06 (I Wanna Be A) Dumbcharger
    08 The Ugly Vision
    12 Big Chief Chinese Restaurant
    13 Hit

    Could Live Without
    10 Cigarette Tricks
    18 Gold Hick
    21 Ex-Supermodel
    24 Chicken Blows
    27 Always Crush Me

    Toss-Offs & Throwaways
    -- none

    Given the scoring above, the album would get 98 points total (and an average of 3.50). 

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    “chicken blows” rules and has always ruled

    The Rock Robot said...

    I knew there would be a comment about how great Chicken Blows is, and I appreciate that a lot of people like it. It just isn't for me.