Wednesday, October 07, 2020

RE:SCORE - Guided By Voices: An Earful O' Wax (1993)

TOTAL SCORE: 55, AVG: 3.24

An Earful O' Wax is a greatest hits album that covered Guided By Voices' first 4 albums and 1 EP that was made in Germany. Since I've re:scored all of the albums covered in the compilation I thought I'd apply the scoring to it at well...
    Based on my song rankings, I would generally swap Crux, Hey Hey Spaceman, and a couple of the other "They're Good" songs for The Tumblers (DBMT), Trap Door Soul (SB), Radio Show (SIAN), and Drinker's Peace (SPTFGS). I might throw on Club Molluska (SPTFGS) just to throw a curve-ball. Here is the updated ranking with the album the song was originally from listed (legend is below):

    Among Bob's Best
    -- none

    Gems
    01 Navigating Flood Regions (SIAN)
    13 Pendulum (SPTFGS)

    Almost Gems
    02 Captain's Dead (DBMT)
    17 Liar's Tale (SIAN)

    They're Good
    03 The Hard Way (SPTFGS)
    06 An Earful O 'Wax (SIAN)
    07 Lips of Steel (SB)
    08 How Loft I Am? (SPTFGS)
    09 Sometimes I Cry (FSB)
    10 A Visit to the Creep Doctor (SB)
    11 The Future is in Eggs (SIAN)
    12 The Great Blake Street Canoe Race (SIAN)
    14 Long Distance Man (SB)
    15 Old Battery (DBMT)
    16 The Other Place (FSB)

    They're OK
    04 Crux (DBMT)
    05 Hey Hey Spaceman (DBMT)

    Could Live Without
    -- none

    Toss-Offs & Throwaways
    -- none

    Given the scoring above, the compilation album would get 55 points total (and an average of 3.24).

    No comments: