Wednesday, October 07, 2020

RE:SCORE - Guided By Voices: Fast Japanese Spin Cycle (1993)

TOTAL SCORE: 24, AVG: 3.00

Fast Japanese Spin Cycle (FJSC) is a cool EP, with its alternate takes on Dusted, Marchers in Orange, and Over the Neptune (Kisses to the Crying Cooks), as well as its centerpiece rocker My Impression Now. My impression of FJSP hasn't really changed since originally reviewing it 15 years ago...
    I would still likely rank this as essential GBV, even if the highs of the album are still fairly subdued. There is a low-key tone throughout, though you can hear tons of potential with My Impression Now as a stadium rocker. It was also interesting reading my take on Indian Fables, and I was shocked to have left it off of the original playlist. What was I thinking? Here is the updated ranking:

    Among Bob's Best
    -- none

    Gems
    -- none

    Almost Gems
    02 My Impression Now
    06 Marchers in Orange
    07 Dusted

    They're Good
    03 Volcano Divers
    05 Indian Fables
    08 Kisses to the Crying Cooks

    They're OK
    02 3rd World Birdwatching

    Could Live Without
    04 Snowman

    Toss-Offs & Throwaways
    -- none

    Given the scoring above, the album would get 24 points total (and an average of 3.00). 

    No comments: