Wednesday, October 28, 2020

RE:SCORE - Guided By Voices: Plantations of Pale Pink (1996)

TOTAL SCORE: 17, AVG: 2.83

I noted back in 2006 that I was fond of Plantations of Pale Pink (PoPP), and as a stand-alone quick and funky EP it stood up really well, however, as stand-alone songs it can be seen as a weaker EP. Over time Systems Crash has really grown on me, and I specifically remember it being close to not making my original playlist and yet I have a hard time understanding why it wasn't an obvious choice to be included...

    If I was to categorize these songs (and a lot of other b-sides and whatnot that can came from this era) I would say that so many of them include tiny shots of greatness extracted from otherwise middling tunes. The ending of Deaf Ears from the Official Ironmen Rally Song single is the perfect example, but so is The Worryin' Song and it its brilliant ending ("And that's what bothers me/like my father before me/and the mothers that bore me"). Here is the updated ranking:

    Among Bob's Best
    -- none

    Gems
    -- none

    Almost Gems
    01 Systems Crash

    They're Good
    03 The Who Vs. Porky Pig
    04 A Life in Finer Clothing
    05 The Worryin' Song

    They're OK
    02 Catfood on the Earwhig
    06 Subtle Gear Shifting

    Could Live Without
    -- none

    Toss-Offs & Throwaways
    -- none

    Given the scoring above, the album would get 17 points total (and an average of 2.83). 

    No comments: