Friday, July 09, 2021

RE:SCORE - Guided By Voices: Glad Girls (2001)

TOTAL SCORE: 16, AVG: 4.00

In my original review of this single I gushed about how there were such gems to be found on GBV singles and EPs and how wonderful it was for fans to have these golden nuggets all to themselves (assuming that only the most diehard fans would search these records out). Is that really the case today though where so many people can access their music through streaming services? Either way, my love for the Glad Girls single has only grown with time... 

I'm a bit annoyed that I reduced North American Vampires to "though not in any way a special track, I see it is a great album intro". Sure, I guess it could be a cool intro, but it isn't one is it? And it is a special track - it is exactly like so many of Pollard's meandering-go-nowhere tunes that follow a droning loop, however, like many of those songs Pollard is able to elevate it to something memorable that grows on you by putting so much melody into the vocals. In the case of North American Vampires the effect is subtle and really does require multiple listens to get it (which is really easy since it is about a minute long).

I loved Isolation Drills since the first time I heard it, and I continue to do so. I dig the transition after Pollard sings "the vain snappings of a most eloquent speaker", and the droning nature of the guitar riff is absolutely enchanting. I'm tempted to upgrade this track to "gems", but I'm comfortable with "almost gems" for now. On With The Show is not the toss-off I made it sound to be in my original review, and I do like some of the guitar riffs, and it has grown on me over time. Depending on my mood I can be really into it, and sometimes it sounds like background noise.

Glad Girls includes two great b-sides in North American Vampires and Isolation Drills and any fan of GBV owes it to themselves to check it out. Here is the updated ranking:

Among Bob's Best
-- none

Gems
01 Glad Girls

Almost Gems
02 North American Vampires
04 Isolation Drills

They're Good
03 On With The Show

They're OK
-- none

Could Live Without
-- none

Toss-Offs & Throwaways
-- none

Given the scoring above, the album would get 16 points total (and an average of 4.00). 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you're back

Anonymous said...

This is such a wonderful little corner of the internet. Keep up the great work and positive vibes!

Anonymous said...

where are you