Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Guided By Voices: Motor Away (1995)

What made the Motor Away 7" single special was (like the My Valuable Hunting Knife single) the alternate take on the title track. The original from Alien Lanes is an anthem for the lo-fi movement. The version on this single sounds slightly more polished, and yet emptier. I choose the Alien Lanes version over the slick 7" every time, but there really is not much of a difference. I'm guessing finding this single is close to impossible now, but you can find its contents on the Demons & Painkillers disc in Hardcore UFOs...

The b-side Color Of My Blade is a special treat as well, and I would have loved to hear this song on Alien Lanes. It is a heavier, consistent rock track which keeps a nice pace and often sounds like it is straight out of the late 60's.

Tracklisting (songs in bold make my ultimate Pollard/GBV playlist/box set):
01 Motor Away (7" Version)
02 Color Of My Blade

No comments: